Friday, November 26, 2010

Prayer thoughts

So in the last week I've had 3 good conversations with 2 friends about prayer.  I taught a few Sunday School lessons on prayer.  I'm doing this Bible study on The Holiness of God by R. C. Sproul and we keep touching on how we need to pray more.  Prayer is also a discipline I've been trying to work on for the last few months.  So prayer has been on my mind a lot lately.

Here's the thing, though.  I don't know why praying is so hard.  I mean, you are talking to your heavenly Father who loves and cares for you infinitely more than any human being could.  Yet we want to hash out our life problems--and the world's problems even--with every person we come in contact with.  At least I know that's how I am.  I could just come to the Lord and share with Him.  He knows even before I ask what I need, what the solution is, and how He is going to meet that need.  He is sovereign--totally in control and totally just and holy in His answers to my prayers.  I can trust Him for that.  Yet I don't go to Him as I should. 

Well, in one of those conversations that I mentioned before, I remembered a quote about prayer that I read some time ago.  It was in a book by Max Lucado called Just Like Jesus.  He was telling of a man who said that he was in constant communication with the Lord.  He just kept a running conversation with God as He went about his business.  I thought that was an interesting concept.  In looking for that quote (I wrote it down somewhere, but who knows where :P ), I found another quote for that same book.  I don't know if this is the same guy as before, but it's pretty amazing.  It fits in with this whole thing because I've also been thinking a lot about God's holiness and the fact that God in His holiness cannot accept the filth of our lives.  Even in prayer, we need to confess and make things right with Him.  Here is the quote.
I have tasted a thrill in fellowship with God which has made anything discordant with God disgusting.  This afternoon, the possession of God has caught me up with such sheer joy that I thought I never had known anything like it.  God was so close and so amazingly lovely that I felt like melting all over with a strange blissful contentment.  Having had this experience which comes to me now several times a week, the thrill of filth repels, for I know its power to drag me from God.  And after an hour of close friendship with God, my soul feels clean, as new fallen snow. (bold mine)   --from the journal of Frank Laubach as quoted in Just Like Jesus by Max Lucado
Have you "tasted a thrill in fellowship with God" lately?  Just taking the time to slow down and talk to God can be a challenge.  And then actually sitting still and quieting all other voices and thoughts is difficult and definitely takes work.  But in the last few weeks, I've found it to be rewarding.

4 comments:

Redbelt3 said...

I think we don't know how much power and sway we have given the flesh until we determine to pray for 30 minutes. Once we have given relinquished a portion of our lives to it, it's much harder to take it back. The description of a more pure time with God sounds so inviting and refreshing. Thanks for the encouragement to pray.

Redbelt3 said...

Hbr 3:13   But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
I think my heart is hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.

Poll Nike said...

Microsoft has Office 2010 to remove from the subscription site to MSDN,TechNet, Expression.Microsoft sentenced to stop sales of Word and Microsoft Office 2010 Download.

Emilylee Emilylee said...

It looks amazingly like Cheap Archeage Gold ballistic gel. So, if you extrapolate, you can imagine what it Archeage Gold would look like if you submerged a person in liquid nitrogen and shot them with a twelve gauge. At least that's what I did. Far Buy Archeage Gold less gruesome than the unwarranted murder of a gummy bear.